J.W. Monday Elementary School is an exemplary first through fifth grade campus located just six blocks from downtown Kaufman. Monday Primary first opened its doors in 1965 and was renovated in 1993. Many stones from the original building were used in the renovation of the school. They can be seen on the exterior walls of the office.
J.W. (Bill) Monday, for whom the school is named, began his teaching career of fifty years in a two-teacher school in the Abner community of Kaufman County. He graduated from East Texas State University and later earned his Master's degree from Southern Methodist University. He taught in schools in Kaufman and Dallas County for the duration of his fifty year career without ever taking a sick day.
Mr. Monday worked in the Kaufman ISD for 19 years as a teacher and principal. Monday Primary offers a diverse and comprehensive curriculum that meets the needs of its students in all aspects of their social and educational development. The school's core areas of study include Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, and notable special areas such as Library, Art, Music, Computer & Physical Education.
At Monday Elementary we strive to provide a strong academic, social, and emotional foundation where all students value themselves and others.
To support our vision, we will:
Provide a positive environment where all students feel safe, welcomed, and respected
- Expect academic success and growth for all students
- Encourage teamwork and open communication
- Create engaging learning experiences which encourage critical thinking
- Work cooperatively with each other and the community to establish a trusting partnership
- Develop authentic relationships which support family, home, and school
- Celebrate diversity
- Allow students to make choices and decisions, building leaders and life-long learners