Transition happens many times in your child’s life. It happens any time your child moves from one stage of life to the next. When it comes to the ARD/IEP Process, “transition” addresses a specific life stage and puts a plan in place for how your child will make that move.

For more information about Transition, contact Amy Baber at Kaufman High School.

Transition from ECI to Preschool


If your toddler receives ECI services, your child will “graduate” from ECI on the day he or she turns three. However, planning for preschool begins much sooner. Between 90 days and 9 months prior to your child’s third birthday, your child’s ECI provider will schedule an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) meeting to discuss your child’s preschool options and to develop a transition plan.
Texas Transition Student-Centered Transitions Network link:

Transition from High School to after High School


For many careers, additional education or training after high school is a requirement. Education after high school is called postsecondary education and includes trade schools, community colleges, and universities. The Office of Disability Services is the office at the postsecondary educational institution that can provide accommodations, academic adjustments, and auxiliary aids and services to students who have qualifying impairments or disabilities.
For many people, employment is a big part of their life. It is important for students to learn about their interests, strengths, and needs so they can be prepared for a career that will be fulfilling to them.
Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) is the state agency responsible for overseeing and providing workforce development services to employers and job seekers of Texas. One of the major functions of this agency is to provide services for people with disabilities to obtain training and employment.
The United States Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook has information on a variety of occupations.
 The Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) can help people with physical or mental disabilities prepare for, find, or keep a job.

Transfer of Rights


When your child turns 18 years old, the state of Texas recognizes the 18-year-old as an adult with the right to be the educational decision-maker in their ARD meeting. You will be provided information about this transfer of rights at an ARD meeting.